Thursday, October 31, 2013

Terabithia



I remember the first time I read the book.  We lived in an old house across the road from my church.  We only lived in that house for a short time, but I have many foundational memories there, nonetheless.  One of the things I adored about that house was my bedroom.  I romanticized it as to the likes of the bedroom from The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.  It was small, but magical.

The house was just down the street from Flint Creek.  I remember reading the adventures of Jesse and Leslie and envisioning my own magical kingdom just over the rushing waters into a lush forest of make believe.  It was such a dream to be transported to a place where you always felt enchanted.




“It wasn't so much that he minded telling Leslie that he was afraid to go; it was that he minded being afraid. It was as though he had been made with a great piece missing - one of May Belle's puzzles with this huge gap where somebody's eye should have been. Lord, it would be better to be born without an arm than to go through life with no guts.”

Many books later, I still find myself fascinated with the story of childhood friendship.  It was my first view of how something you love, that makes you feel so real, can be taken from you in a heartbeat.  I truly believe it built a foundation in me to cherish everything you love.

“Sometimes it seemed to him that his life was delicate as a dandelion. One little puff from any direction, and it was blown to bits.” 


Because you never know what tomorrow brings, I am thankful for the life and breath these ladies have given me.


The Defender of the Universe


The Opinionater


The Philosopher


The Thinker


The Giver


The Caretaker


The Prayer Warrior


The Smiler


The Balancer



Not pictured:  The Entertainer, The Cryer, and The Pleaser

"Now it was time for him to move out. She wasn't there, so he must go for both of them. It was up to him to pay back to the world in beauty and caring what Leslie had loaned him in vision and strength."

We are not the best.  We are not even close to the best.  But together, we are something pretty special.



I believe I have found my Terabithia, magic and all.


Signed, 
The One Who Falls Out of the Hammock












“Sitting in cold wet britches for an hour was no fun even in a magic kingdom.” 








*All quotes from Katherine Patterson's Bridge to Terabithia.

1 comment:

Denise said...

An awesome post, Autie. Enjoyed.