Sunday, February 22, 2009
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Bobo, as my children have named him, is my only relative (great-aunts and distant cousins excluded) within an 800 mile radius. I have always known I was a lucky girl to have a brother like him, but I never really knew how blessed my children would be to have him as an uncle.
As great as he is, I still need more. It's a birthday celebration for goodness sake. So in the 17 years I have lived away from my family, I have inherited my own "family". Allow me to introduce them. (Note for clarification: the relation listed below is fictious and only to be used as comparative in nature...I know everyone has a crazy Uncle Paul!!!!)
Meet Nonny (not pictured)...
The fun, crazy sister who is spontaneous and zany and always comes up with the "water balloon fights".
And then there's Mel (also not pictured)...
The aunt who isn't married and all the kids love. She has the Christmas party at her house every year and spoils each kid as if they were her own.
Here's Heather (pictured below with daughter Allison)...
Meet Brandi (pictured below with daughter, Baylee)...
And Lea (pictured below with her son, Tucker)...
And finally...our international man of mystery...Michael (pictured right)...
The family member that shows up every eight years and noone knows who he is.
Of course there are a few of our inherited folks missing...we'll highlight them another day. We may not share the same blood lines, but without these folks, I would not make it through. And as we saw today, at Tate's Birthday Bowl-a-thon...family is competitive and will fight dirty if it seals the win...
And when it's all said and done...it doesn't seem so hard with them by your side.
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Five years ago, I was blessed with the most amazing Valentine ever. My blonde headed, blue eyed, analytical, intense, big-hearted son. Every year I am even more amazed at the gift that I've been given.
- A talented artist who loves to draw cars and his family
- A dancing outlaw who prefers 80's jams to mod ditties
- A creator...no matter the supply....sand, blocks, tracks, tupperware
- An almost athlete who will try almost anything once but won't stick with it long enough for daddy's liking
- A NOT morning person who requires his glass of milk before I can open my eyelids
- A sleeper who gets the hours he needs but never indulges
- A sensitive soul who likes to take care of others and tell them what they mean to him
- A brother who protects, loves, and comforts
- A son who teaches, entertains, and amazes
Thank you Lord for this gift. I will never understand why I was chosen, but I will do my best to live up to my end of the deal.