Monday, October 7, 2013

Ironic

As I continue my writing awakening, I find myself with more perspective. After a great visit with Bobo in Mobile, the kids and I loaded the car this morning to make the 6 hour drive back home. The drive is a favorite time of mine especially with Rae's top down, sun shining, and music blaring. The morning hours were a bit chilly but we struggled through and finally reached perfect convertible temps.

While driving, we approached a place that evoked some painful memories for me. I tried to start a conversation with the kids to distract me from the thoughts, but their iPods prevailed.  I went through my many self-taught coping mechanisms and finally decided to drown out the thoughts. As I have said many times, it's as if I have my own DJ ready to play a therapy song on cue. I turned the speaker on only to hear a classic from my college days. This particular song reminded me of some of my darkest times from the mid-90s. My dear friend, Lea, and I would scream sing the words to Alanis' Ironic, until we forgot the problems of the day.

Here's the ironic part, after listening to the song at least four times, I found my thoughts were still there. There was only one thing left to do. Which leads me to today's entry for #lifeisbiginthelittlechallenge.

Day 3:  The Drive


#lookup

There is only one place to go when sorrow arrives. Thankful for a prayerful end to my drive. 
ao



1 comment:

Mommy Mac said...

Love this one! Totally. Love the photo. I can feel the fear in your writing.

And, what a beautiful spin on "ironic" , don't you think? {pun intended} :)

Love the art and beauty in looking up. It's both to me.

.mac :)