Sunday, October 20, 2013

Harvest Moon


I can't help it.  I'm sure the name has something to do with it, but it's not the only reason.  It's not even the main reason.  I'm not really clear why I bear its name, since I was born in March, but its my name.  Its as if the season pulls on my soul in a way that is so organic.  My heart rises and sets with each day of the harvest.


"Harvest Moon" by Neil Young has always been one of my favorite songs.  There's something about the idea of falling in love while the air turns crisp and the days start to shorten.  I have fallen in love during the fall many times.  Most recently, the carefree spirit of a blue-eyed little girl has sent my heart into orbit.

The original theme was a luau, but as the date loomed closer, she grew more and more unsettled with the idea.  Its hard to imagine which came first, the planner or the plan, but she has definitely inherited the gift and curse of event coordination.

"I think it will be too cold for luau clothes."

"I don't think my friends will get it."

"I don't like that kind of music."

When the time came to commit to her birthday party theme, she came back quite certain.  "I just want to hang out with my friends in the backyard."


 What a perfect thing to do on a brisk October night.


She started with the menu.  Of course, everything she selected had a person attached to it.  She wanted Mamaw's pigs in a blanket and Heather's chili.  We dedicated an entire weekend to shopping for the details.




Hourglass soda bottles
Individual popcorn holders
Journals and pencils made out of bark for each of her guests
Lantern lights for the tree


It was the first weekend that really felt like fall.  Lily girl gathered her nearest and dearest girlfriends and celebrated the season as if she was named after it.


At the end of the night, her oldest friend, Fred, remained and I eavesdropped on their giggles in the bed.


I cherish her.  Every single second.


“Autumn...the year's last, loveliest smile.” 
 William Cullen Bryant

~ao

No comments: