Sunday, October 13, 2013

Daydream Believer

I remember the night so vividly. I wasn't feeling quite right and I knew I had felt that way before.  Robbie was out of town and Tate was sleeping. I knew the time was right to find out for sure.

I was scared to death.

I already knew the answer before the test results showed. Tate was not even one yet and I was far from a master mother. I was more scared to tell Robbie. I felt like a pregnant teenager about to tell her parents. I knew he was going to flip out.

As I was processing through how to tell him, I heard some noise from Tate's room. I quickly shoved the test in a drawer and ran upstairs to check on him. He was standing in his bed crying and as soon as I picked him up, I knew we had another "first". He was burning up with a 104 fever.

I was scared to death.

I jumped in the car to head to the ER. My head spun around with absolute panic. Another baby? 104 temp?

I'm sure I was quite a sight as I walked into the hospital covered in vomit, sweat, and tears carrying my sick boy. Robbie came running in from his recruiting trip and we rushed back for tests. After what seemed like days, Tate's fever came down, he fell asleep and we sat in the hospital room staring at each other.  I knew it was time to tell him. 

I was scared to death.

My pregnancy was easy. No sickness. No pain. No exhaustion. Labor was easier. She entered this world with such ease the doctor barely made it. 

I should have known what kind of girl she was going to be from the time we had together as one. Many nights I would lay in the bed singing a song to her. "Cheer Up Lilybean.  Oh what can it mean to a daydream believer and a homecoming queen."  

I sang that Monkees song to her as a baby. The first line is my favorite, "Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings."  I'm not sure which came first, my singing of the song or the free spirit of my La-La Lily, but it is clearly a song for her.  She makes all my fear go away. 



She is divine. 
A learner.  
Story writer. 
She is spirited. 
Music Lover
Contagious Laugher
She is sweet. 
Card maker. 
Love giver. 

She is our Lily Bean!  Happy 8th Birthday to the breath of our family!


ao



No comments: