Monday, March 30, 2009

Life Lessons of an Average Dutch Girl (in no particular order)...



If you know me, you know I have forever entitled the month of March, “Birthday Month”. I love birthdays…doesn’t matter whose it is. So this “Birthday Month”, I have spent a lot of time doing what I love…Writing! I don’t get the opportunity to do it often enough so I decided that this month was the time. Another thing I don’t do often is SHARE my writing. So, on the eve of my 35th birthday, allow me to share the titles of the chapters of this month’s collection…

Life Lessons of an Average Dutch Girl (in no particular order)…

1. The Taste of Victory…Nakia’s homerun that took us to the NAIA Semi-finals



2. The Place to Be…1st Dance Party at 49 Central



3. Wanna Play?...Playing football with Ms. Vecchi in 3rd Grade



4. Oh Christmas Tree…Hunting for the perfect tree with my Grandpa W. and dad on a visit from Tennessee



5. The Cover on an Old Torn Up Book…my student, Josh walks across the stage last year



6. Life of the Party…twirling the rifle five months pregnant to entertain the girls at Mish’ 30th bday party in Maggie Valley


7. My Biggest Fans…Coaching at the Walt Disney Tournament while my parents and grandparents cheered me on (and coached a little too!) from the stands



8. Time for me to Fly…REO Speedwagon concert the night before I moved to Tennessee for college



9. When Monks Cry…Time of reflection and prayer in Assissi, Italy



10. Putrid Punch…Lily’s 3rd birthday party on our back deck



11. Double Scoop...Two hour drive to Muscle Shoals, AL on a recruiting trip with Robbie to find the game was rescheduled and getting ice cream instead



12. Angel…Sarah McLaughlin Christmas Concert in Atlanta with Stacie


13. Bullfrog Chasing…Campout at grandparents after high school graduation



14. On Your Mark, Get Set…Canoe race with Tony and the kids on Keuka Lake



15. It’s in His Kiss…Discovered my love for karaoke at Carissa’s bachelorette party



16. Pardon Me?...Who knew a random elective (Current Events) taught by a random professor (Cliff Schimmels) would lead me to a career in education??



17. Hello Ref??? Did You See That???...Playing in the sectional game at McEvoy Park and watching my mom run down the bleachers in high heels



18. Boxes in the Garage…The night I moved into my 1st home



19. Beach Bums…Frisbee football on Waikiki Beach



20. Cut Throat…Finding out at the TranSouth Tournament that Tony's "lump"
was confirmed as cancer


21. Do You Take This Baby?...Heather’s words at Tate’s Baby Dedication



22. Last Ride…Riding the Rockin’ Rollercoaster with my 70 year old grandma



23. Order Anxiety…Ordering mash potatoes in Santa Fe, NM for fear of sounding stupid or ordering the wrong thing



24. Central Park…Spending the day with my family in the heart of New York



25. No Recess for Me…Breaking my arm in kindergarten and watching the kids play from the window



26. In This Ring…Robbie takes me to the circus in Charlotte, NC


27. 212 Degrees…the one time that going the extra mile changed a student’s life



28. There Goes Another Turtle…The Mooneys go to Houston Woods



29. Mickey D’s…Dressing Rusty up like McDonald’s French fries



30. When You Wish Upon a Star…Watching the fireworks at Disney last Christmas with the people that matter most to me (minus one!!!)



31. No Hablo Espanol…Horseback riding on the beach in Tongoy, Chile



32. Luau Love…Lea and Tim wed in our back yard



33. Midnight Swim…there’s nothing like the sound of four bodies hitting the water of the Ocoee River at the same time



34. 20 Scholarships Down…2006 UK vs. UT game…we almost had them!!!



35. Moral Support…Taking the trip to Madison, WI with Winthrop Basketball


3 comments:

Mamie said...

Ok, so now I'm in tears. You express yourself so beautiful. I know exactly what I was doing 35 years ago tonight!! I didn't know that you would be a girl because back then, we didn't find out until the actual birth. I just know that I was very scared. I remember waking your father up at 3 in the morning and telling him it was time. His reply, "no ... Read Moreit's not go back to sleep." I called my mom and she convinced him to take me to the hospital around 6 that morning. On the way to the hospital, it was snowing, of course, he stopped to help Uncle Brian who had broken down along the road. A few hours later, you were born. You were an angel and have taught me so much about being a parent. When I look at you now as a mommy, I am so proud of who you are and what you've become. Tate and Lily are very lucky to have you as their mother. Enjoy your special day, wish we could be together ~ xxoo Mom

Mommy Mac said...

Okay now because of your mom's comment, I am officially crying!

What great stories you have documented!

I look forward to the one day purchase of your book!

Happy Birthday to a child of God who emminates His spirit with compassion, laughter, passion for life, and realness all through that amazing heart of yours!

You are a one-of-a-kind!

Love,
.mac :)

The Deavours Family said...

See. This is why I miss the following: The COE Building. Mexican lunches with our backpack purses. Eating candy bars. Laughing at our own jokes together. Scrap booking. Eating more candy bars. And...of course, SHARING birthday month!

Happy Birthday!