Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lip Smackin'

Kids are funny...ya know? Just when you think you've got them figured out, they bust out with something new. I spend most of my time trying to keep my two on some kind routine, and just when it feels like clockwork...they mix it up a bit. Take my conversation with Tate the other night. I picked him up at preschool to take him to a birthday party. Seems like a fairly normal day, right? That is until he busts out with "Mommy, I have a question." To which I answer, "What's your question buddy?" In a million years I couldn't have predicted what was to come out of his mouth..."What do I do if Kaitlyn tries to kiss me tonight?"



STOP THE TRAIN...WHAT???


Apparently, there's a chic at school who is running around the playground trying to kiss all the boys. I asked Tate what he did when she tried to kiss him and he said that another boy hit her in the face but he just ran away. He then informed me that they were not allowed to kiss at school. I said that I thought running away to tell a grown up was a better choice than hitting a girl. He seemed satisfied with my answer. He then proceeded to tell me that he would NEVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER kiss a girl as long as he's dead.


We made it through the birthday party without incident (Kaitlyn was a cute little girl) and got in the car to head home. Since it was getting close to bedtime, I turned on some soft music for the ride home, hoping that he might fall asleep in the car. Nope...he decided to have the second hardest talk that parents can have with their children. Might as well knock them all out on the same night, right?


"Mommy, what happens when you die?"


"Why are you thinking about dying?"


"Well I was thinking that I would never, ever, ever, never, ever kiss a girl as long as I'm dead. But I don't want to be dead."


"That's an awfully grown up thing to be thinking about, buddy. What do you think happens when you die?"


"You go to heaven with Jesus."


"Yep, that's right. If you love Jesus, you stay alive forever with him in heaven."


Taking a deep breath, I pat myself on the back for giving such a good answer that he actually came up with. And THEN...


"What if you don't love Jesus? Do you go to a mean place?"


Hmmmmmm....Where to go with this?????


"I guess so."


"Well I love Jesus mommy."


"I'm glad you do. Heaven's a pretty great place."


Out of the mouth of babes. They don't give you a manual for this stuff. What the heck does one say to that?


FAST FORWARD TO TODAY...


We are in the car driving home and I am chatting with my mom. I hear Tate say, "Mommy, look...sissy's wearing makeup." I am petrified to look in the rear view. Here's what I saw...

Apparently Lily's getting ready for some kissing action too!

2 comments:

Mamie said...

You did a good job answering his questions, but they never stop asking!! And oh my Miss Lily ~ you are too beautiful. Next time use a mirror, it makes it easier to put on the lipstick ~ Mamie

Mommy Mac said...

Can I just say, PERFECT TITLE for this post?!

PERFECT.

I just knew it had something to do with eating with your mouth open at the table or chicken wings...but no!

So deep and yet so surface.

The perfect combo if you ask me!

Lily Bean, "Get out of Mama's purse!"

She needs a gloss collection and STAT!!!!

Love Tate's questions..loved your answers even more!

.mac :)