Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Name for all Seasons...


I remember that moment distinctively.  I was looking out our apartment window on Parrish Street crying my 1st grade eyes out.  My mom was genuinely concerned since it was not like me to cry.  I finally fessed up and told her the reason for my sadness.  "Noone will ever want to marry me," I blurted through my sobs.  "I have the most stupid name of all names."  At least that's what my classmates had convinced me of.

Cooler temps...
Oranges and yellows...
Crisp air...
Soul awakening...

au·tumn

~noun

a time of full maturity, esp. the late stages of full maturity

We all know the traditional meaning of my name {the season between summer and winter},  but I really love the second definition.  This time of year, my soul moves in a way that feels organic.  It is a state for which I know will pass, so I cling to it so as not to let it leave too quickly.  It feels miles away from the little girl who lacked confidence or vision, for it is in these months that I find the most clarity.  I wouldn't say that I have reached "full maturity" (although I do see a few more wrinkles on the picture above), but as my mother would say, "my cup runneth over."  Maybe finding that man who didn't mind my "stupid name" has something to do with it.

~ao

P.S.  Picture compliments of my dear friend, Heather, who is starting a new photography business.  What better place to build her portfolio than at girls' weekend with a group of distinctively unique girls?

No comments: