Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Snow Angels

I wrote a chapter yesterday. Unfortunately, I had no paper and no pen. No computer to tap tap tap the words in my heart and soul. But it was quickly evident that the thoughts that swirled around in my mind would soon become a chapter in my book. My lovetank overflowed and I felt that I might have just had the best hour of my life.

It was simple. No hoopla. No plan. Just simple.

We woke up.

We dressed.

We walked.

We talked.

We ate.

Sounds pretty normal? It sure does.

Fortunately for you (and me), it was anything but ordinary which made the words sound more EXTRAordinary as they swirled.

The morning started something like this...

"Mommy, it snowed."

And it ended something like this...

"Mommy, this was the best day EVER!"

And now you understand...full love tank?

Why, of course!

I laid on the couch watching the snow fall and deciding what to do. I grew up in the stuff so I knew what it felt like to be soaking wet and freezing after an hour of snowplay. Didn't sound like much fun to me.

And there he sat...just staring at me...one strawberry blonde curl looped just behind his ear and those big blue eyes pleading for me to take action. We won't mention the hands on his hips or the "not so respectful" tone of voice he was using that said, "But mommy, YOU PROMISED!"

I peeled myself off the couch and headed into the laundry room to start robing for a romp in the brutal, oh so cold, SNOW. Once we were dressed, I headed out the door, stopping briefly to grab my camera and look in one last bag to see if I could find my other glove...NO LUCK!

As soon as we walked out the door, there they came, like two teenage boys with huge grins on their faces... Yep, the snowball war began. Fortunately, since I was the camera person, they left me alone.

After the snow battle finished, we decided to take a walk into town and grab some breakfast...

It was less than 1/2 mile walk, but inside I was praying that this spontaneous idea didn't turn into "Mommy, I can't walk anymore" (Well...it kinda did to which my hero husband picked up Beanut and walked her the rest of the way to the restaurant.)

The greatest part? Well, if you were to take a walk down Main Street in my parents little village, you would see a tiny little snowangel about every 20 feet down the sidewalk. And if you looked really carefully, you would notice they were all from the same template and about the same size as the strawberry-blonde, big blue-eyed boy who begged his mommy the hour before.

A quick lunch of bacon sandwiches and PBJ at Johnson's Joint and we were headed back out the door. The calvary arrived to save the "Not-so Snow Princess" and her daddy (whose back was breaking from the load he carried down). I knew the answer, before I even asked, "Buddy, you wanna catch a ride with Mamie or walk back?" "Walk back," he said.
So "Walk Back" it was. But this time, I took slower steps, talked less and listened more. And if you drive down Main Street in my parents' village you might just see a snowangel that is quite a bit taller than the original. That would be mine!

1 comment:

Mommy Mac said...

Awww, man...I love this.

I want snow.

It is time like these you lock in your heart.

And then, you throw away the key.

.mac :)