Monday, June 30, 2014

Red and the Bread Man


One morning, while I was visiting my parents in New York, I woke up at 5:30 in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep.  I assumed it was from sleeping in a strange bed. I got up to go to the bathroom and decided to take the dog outside.

I walked down the stairs and froze in my steps.  There, I saw a familiar sight.  My dad, aka The Rev, on his knees in prayer.

Just think about that.  How often have you found your dad on his knees in prayer?  Its a pretty familiar sight for me and one I took for granted for many years.


They call him the Bread Man.  For years, he has delivered bread and other food to needy families.  He does this, not because he wins awards or gets any accolades, but because he has been called to serve.


Another morning, I woke up to the smell of chocolate flowing throughout the house.  I came downstairs to investigate and found a hot pan of brownies in the oven.  My mom appeared out of the laundry room.  "Good morning, sweetie.  I thought you and the girls would like some brownies for the boat.  And these brownies, they are my best yet."

Today my parents, Rev and Red, celebrate their 41st Wedding Anniversary.  It would be a fabrication if I told you its been a cookie cutter marriage.  There is no such thing.


What it has been is a consistent example of prayer & care for others before themselves.  It makes me extremely proud to know the stock I am from.  They are easily two of the most thoughtful, giving servants of the Lord that I have ever met.

When I was younger, I undervalued their calling.  I thought it made me weird to have parents that made us go to church and pray before meals.  I was embarrassed because they still held hands and kissed each other goodbye.

For their 30th anniversary, we gave them a scrapbook entitled "Thirty Years and Three Kids Later".  It was filled with letters from family and friends on what their marriage has meant to them.  Obviously we've added some spouses and grandkids to that title, but the common themes in the letters still ring true.

 "Thirty years of commitment to God, family, and especially, each other..."
"But most of all, I have learned to love."
"You live, you love, you marry, even though sometimes love is scary."
"Modeled servanthood."
"Your marriage represents to me a pillar of strength."
"The Lord shines on you."
"You lend a helping hand, no matter the occasion."
"God bless you richly for all of your loving, caring, sharing and endless giving."


When I got engaged, my mom gave me one piece of advice.  "Serve the Lord and Serve Robbie."  It is advice I have to remind myself of regularly.  Today I was blessed to sit at the dinner table with my parents and celebrate their marriage.

Happy 41st Anniversary, Red and Rev!!!  Keep on smooching and keep on serving!

~ao

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

بونص ارامكو 2023
يمكن بيع اسهم ارامكو عن طريق الهاتف الجوال بكل سهولة