Friday, June 6, 2014

Falling Slowly


It's summer.  I think.

The temperatures are hot - mostly.

We cook dinners on the grill - some.
We spend time as a family - kind of.
Things slow down - not really.



I am a lake person.  Yes, I appreciate a good beach trip now and then, but my heart's desire lies on a raft somewhere in the middle of a lake.  

The water is still.  There are no frisbees flying overhead.  Your skin is not frying from the scorching sun.  You can float and gaze and dream.  Pure relaxation station.


The ocean is a different story.  Make no mistake.  I enjoy a good trip to the beach.  I find it relaxing in its own way, but there are times when I'm there I feel I'm in an episode of Man vs. Nature, taking on each wave as if its a new battle.  


There are no tidal waves in the middle of a lake.  All the more reason I love a day on the lake.  You see, there is no floating in a tidal wave.  There's no gazing or dreaming either.  All that tidal waves bring are fear, panic and the need to survive.  You know where the tidal waves are?  Life. 

As our family gets older, it seems there is little time to catch your breath.  There are plenty of games, clinics, and camps for the kids, all of which I enjoy.  But nothing, absolutely nothing, can fill my tank more than good, ole-fashioned quality time with the people I love. 




Fridays mean summer.  At least, for me. In the four-day work week, kid-shuttling, life catching-up days of Summer 2014, there is one day that I hold dear.  FRIDAY.


The plan was Lake Winnie.  Last night I packed the bags and put the kids to bed early.  I told them we had a surprise in the morning.  Unbeknownst to me, Friday, June 6th is the ONLY Friday this summer that Lake Winnie is closed.  


I heard their footsteps about 8:30.  They both came barreling down the stairs with anticipation.  We snuggled in the bed for a few minutes before I broke the news - No Lake Winnie.  This is the part where I have to brag.  I don't know how other kids react, but man - MY KIDS ROCK!  They not only shrugged it off, but started brainstorming different ways we could enjoy our Friday.




The first item of business when we start our adventures is the music.  Lily quickly claimed the title of "Music Nazi" and decided on the M&A Wedding mix (ironically its their one year anniversary today).  Within a few songs, her favorite came on.  She squealed with delight.   I've heard the song many times, especially since Lily always wants to replay it.


Maybe it was the fresh air.  Maybe it was knowing it was Friday.  Maybe it was Lily's loud singing.


For whatever reason, today the words stuck.



"Take this sinking boat and point it home.
We've still got time.  Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice."


I'm sure the muse for the song, was a lovely lady that had won his heart.  My muses were sitting in the car with me.  At some point in Lily's third play of the song, Tate reached up and grabbed my hand with both of his.  Man, I had a moment.



A moment of floating.
A moment of gazing.
A moment of dreaming.

The Score?
Tidal Wave = 0
Mom = 1

Enjoy some still water this summer, my friends.
~ao


*Photo credits to Lily and Tate.
**Lyrics from Glen Hansard's, Falling Slowly.

No comments: