Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy Birthday America!!

I have many memories of the 4th of July. When we were younger, my brothers and I would climb on the roof of our old house and watch the fireworks in Canandaigua. As I got older, I always spent the fourth at the lake with the Hansens or the Prendergasts watching the fireworks from a hammock hanging from the dock or from the middle of the lake. Robbie and I have spent our Independence Holiday in many places...Keuka Lake, our backyard, and Florence, KY. Yes...I said Florence, KY.

Fourth of July means many things to me...good food and LOTS of it, something shiny and on fire, and of course, family and good friends. Fourth of July and Florence, KY did not disappoint this year. According to Tate, you can't celebrate America without Apple Pie, so I made some individual apple pies and a few mixed berry (which should be its own blog post because they were so delicious!!!).

The day started with an eye exam from our favorite eye doctor (See post entitled "Uncle Virg"). The girls headed to the grocery store and fireworks tent while the boys headed to the pool. Once naps and food prep were done, we decided to head back out to WalMart to get a slip n slide for the kids. We grilled out, played with poppers, slipped and slid,

played BAGGO, took baths, slipped and slid AGAIN (under the not-so-good direction of Matt...again...see post entitled Uncle Virg),

played with sparklers,

built a bonfire, made smores, watched fireworks,

and nestled into bed watching the first Star Wars movie. WHEW! What a day!

And as Lily said tonight, "We can all stay up way late, mama, because the fireworks will scare us and we shouldn't be scared on America's birthday." So with that, I say, Happy Birthday America! Thank you for being born today...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

sounds like some great family time and memories made! Enjoy your summer!