Sunday, September 13, 2009

Kitty Cats on the Wall

I have a confession.

I have had resentment. I hold it against them. I've tried to get over it, but I just can't. It's just eaten away at me for all these years.



The first bedroom I remember was in an old white house with a screened in porch across from my dad's church. It was an older house and the room was dark with a few "nooks and crannies". I remember a built in wardrobe that I loved to climb into.



The next room I remember was in the house I grew up in on Rte. 5 & 20 in Flint, NY. It was "blood red" with lions and tigers wallpaper...yep you read it right. Blood red...lions and tigers. Two details I remember vividly...there was a hole in the wall behind my door that I would eavesdrop on my parents watching movies in the living room. I remember hearing "Booger" burp on "Revenge of the Nerds" through that hole.

The other thing I remember is the former occupant had written "Kilroy was here" on the back of the door. I always wondered who Kilroy was??? I think it was several years later that I finally found out.


The bedroom I probably stayed in the longest is the most memorable mainly because I grew up in that room. I shared it with my brothers, my grandma, nanny, and many friends who temporarily "ran away from home". There were a few things I loved about that room and one thing I hated. The room had really high ceilings...
so high that I could throw my rifle in it. This was a great feature until one night. I woke up to a BAT flying over my face. I can't share with you the other details from that night, but I can tell you that its hysterical and involves both of my parents in their underwear.

The other wonderful feature was the built in closets. Those closets still hold the award for "Largest Closet" in my life. I'm hoping that changes in the next year with our building addition to our house. They were big enough to climb into (which I did often) and had drawers to hold all of my thrift store tshirts and sweatpants.

Now for the loathed item. I sure did say loathed. Remember that lions and tigers wallpaper from my 2nd bedroom?? Well it pales in comparison to the pastel pink, green, yellow and blue kittens that were plastered all over my teenage bedroom.
I tried my best to cover them with pictures of Kirk Cameron and Bon Jovi...my feeble attempt to "dress it up" a bit.

So resent I have...for years...almost 25 years. All I ever wanted was the white furniture and peach and mint green comforter to make my bedroom a girls' dream!
Nope...never happened. Oh I hear ya...I got lots of other things, but those things don't quite matter. All that matters is my mom and dad wouldn't get me the beautiful little girls dreamroom that I wanted. END OF STORY.



OK, so maybe I'm being a little dramatic and slightly selfish. Maybe I'm carrying over a conversation about "the things we never got as kids." But, that's ok and I suppose I'll get over it. I finally got to use all 25 years worth of dreaming to create an enchanting space for Miss Lily.

A dollhouse complete with furniture and barbies




A beautiful dresser to store her clothes in




A "dress up" center to keep all of her NECESSITIES



A nook for reading and writing



And...

The Grand Poomba...







A beautiful daybed trundle with a feather boa canopy...



It doesn't get much better than this folks...



P.S. Note to Mom and Dad...I really did love all that other stuff AND I forgive you!

3 comments:

The Deavours Family said...

oh my gosh...AWESOME job. and, woa...doesn't this make her officially grown up-ish???

interestingly coincidental, i had a "bedroom" planning moment that dated back to childhood and such JUST today before i even read this.

WEIRD.

Sarah Bragg said...

Love it! That dollhouse is awesome!

Mommy Mac said...

You have outdone yourself.

Love the brown and pink.

Sorry for the decor growing up in your room.

Not good.

Climbing kittys and blood red shouldn't happen to a girl in one lifetime.

.mac :)