Friday, May 8, 2009

The Apple That Rolled From the Tree

I'm simply amazed. I have to say that it takes quite a bit to simply knock my socks off, but he does it. Many of you know our story, but some do not. See...it started like this...Boy meets girl...girl marries boy...

(This is where I insert the unexpected twist)

Most people think the next line in the story is always...BOY AND GIRL HAVE A BABY. But not Robbie and I. It was never in the plan. I know you're all yelling, WHAT????? but it's true. We were just two people who had made an adult decision not to have kids and we were both rather content with that decision...

And then came May of 2003...antibiotics, late night auction at Winthrop and viola! We're having a baby. To say we were shocked is an understatement.

It took us quite a few months to get in the "baby groove", but once we moved into our house and got the nursery decorated (about a month before he arrived), we started to realize that "ready or not...here he comes!"

We decorated his nursery in Yankees and Kentucky basketball (just to be fair to both sides of the family). Of course, an athletic room for two athletes first born...a son nonetheless...oh did we dare to dream?

Fast forward five years...

I noticed it about two years ago. Of course, I knew he was quite clumsy, but I thought that was part of the three year old thing...and then came Miss Lily. A ball dribbling, golf watching, bike racing tomboy who is as agile as they come. And then there's Tate...god love him...he tries his best, but he's not the most coordinated guy on the playground. So what is he you ask? Well here comes my amazing sense of WONDER!!!
Our son, the firstborn, is an incredible artist. And when I say incredible, I don't mean "hang it on the refrigerator" good. I mean buy some mattes and frames and make some pretty meaningful (and not too expensive) gifts.

And you, my dear blogging buds...are so fortunate to attend his first virtual exhibit. Hope you enjoy...

Here we have a picture drawn for my friend Michael

Obviously, Michael is a banker and a special note...that's Michael's car parked in front and the "bank van" parked on the side.

Now on to his favorite movie characters, CARS...

Notice the detail on his Lightning McQueen (excuse the blurriness and backwards "9"...we're working on it :)


Another favorite character...WALL-E


This one was pretty shocking to me. I couldn't believe how much it looked like the real thing.

Another favorite character, Thomas the train.


Notice the front of the blue train and its smiling face...just like our trusty locomotion, Thomas.

This next one is in honor of my Grandpa Ike, a retired firefighter...

Notice the ladder and the three firemen (and of course the flames coming out of the top of the house).

This next picture he drew on the car ride through Kentucky.



I think he liked the cows...what do you think?

This is one with a little less detail...


When I asked him why it was only a picture of him, he told me "Sometimes I just like to sit". Understandable....

This last one cracks me up...


This is a picture of our family last Halloween. Tate was a pirate, Lily was a fall princess, and apparently, Robbie and I were Human Giraffes...check out those necks! This is much better than the third "leg" he drew on Robbie one time or the "lungs" he put on Jesus (it was actually a bowtie which I thought was hilarious).

And here is our gift for Sarah's graduation to be hung in her future classroom...



That's pretty great stuff...Huh!

I have to say that although Tate has recently taken to swinging a golf club, I am so excited to have such artistic ability flowing through the household. Not quite sure where he gets it from...must be his Uncle Adam, but nonetheless...it makes me one proud mama (not to mention "the lady with the most covered refrigerator").

No comments: