Monday, November 25, 2013

Run Red Run


I climbed on to the school bus.  It was my least favorite time of day.  Living 20 minutes from school was no picnic on an average day, but riding the bus for over an hour?  It was pure torture.

"Is that your mom," the little boy in the seat next to me asked.  I didn't have to turn around.  I could visualize the scene as it unfolded behind me.

Mom, in her bathrobe.
My brother running while struggling to put his shoes on.
Backpack unzipped.
Nissan Sentra honking and blinking the lights.
The school bus slowing down to a halt.

And there he was.  No doubt, without lunch money or completed homework.  Hair unbrushed and crooked glasses.  He made eye contact, cocked his head slightly, and nervously giggled as he walked back to my seat.


Yep.  That's Tony, for ya.

He's the middle brother.  He always has things hanging out of his backpack.  He is a horrible planner.


One could stop there and recognize very quickly, that we are night and day.  Its hard to believe we share any genetic qualities.

He's a computer geek. I'm the big picture creator.
He's the "I don't wear Christmas pajamas" guy.  I'm the "Do it for your mother" girl.
He will talk to a perfect stranger by choice.  I would rather not unless its obligation.

But most importantly, he's my brother.


No matter how different we are, I always see that little guy walking down the school bus aisle, getting it all together.

He still gets that look sometimes.  The one with the nervous giggle and the fidgety movement.  Mostly when dealing with his boys.  Its the look that says, "I'm doing the best I can.  Just give me a chance to get it all together."

He hasn't had the easiest time, but with each step he learns, and embraces the newness of each day.  I am proud of the dad he has become and so thankful he's my brother.


But most importantly, I learn from him.
I learn that details matter, sometimes.
I learn that sometimes the best plans are actually not plans.
I learn that you love, even through the hard stuff.


Happy Birthday Red!  I hope your day is filled with comfortable clothes, great music, and the best Wally burger you've ever had!

No comments: