Sunday, November 24, 2013

Austin Road



There I stood at the top of the hill.  I had never felt this kind of fear in my life.  I could hear my dad calling out to me, "Let's go, Babydoll.  There's nothing to be afraid of."

The things parents tell their kids.  In fact, there was plenty to be afraid of.




Going off-course into a tree.
Falling off the tube and rolling down the hill.
Jumping the snowdrift at the bottom and landing face first.

It seemed to get colder and darker with every breath I took.  I could tell the other adults were losing patience with me.  I was frozen.  Literally.

Deep Breath.
Run.
Jump.
Belly-first on an inner tube.
Eyes Closed.
Scream the whole way down.

The wind had been taken from me.  The laughter made it worse.  I could barely stand.

"Let's go again," I exclaimed, knowing my 6 year old self was changed forever.


I conquered many fears at The Homestead on Austin Road.

Sledding down a HUGE hill.
Riding my bike.
Eating strange foods.
Diving into the pond.

Each time, I was surrounded by a group of adults cheering me on, saying the most ridiculous things to motivate me.



Today I was the adult.



"It'll be fun."



"If you throw snowballs, you're going to be cold before we even get started."



"Take sideways steps.  Its easier."


"Sometimes we have to help each other, to make it to the top."


And when we all made it, I had that same out-of-breath feeling all over again.  Its the magic of this place.  It just brings something out in me that I can't explain.  I didn't have to say a word.  They understood.



I had an epiphany today.  All those years, I thought only the kids were overcoming their fears and having a blast.  I imagined the grown-ups standing around, hanging on our every move, putting in their due time of "kid fun" before dinner time.


There I stood, at the top of the hill.  I realized the adult version was ten times better.


Thankful.
ao

No comments: